1) Oprah’s new bookclub choice is Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth. Set in 12th-century England, The Pillars of the Earth chronicles the building of the greatest Gothic cathedral the world has known. It’s a struggle between good and evil that will turn church against state, and brother against brother. Click here to read an excerpt.
2) The National Book Awards were announced last night (doh! I thought they were tonight). This U.S. literary award is given to writers by writers. There are four categories, and this year’s winners are
- Denis Johnson, Tree of Smoke (fiction)
- Tim Weiner, Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA (non-fiction)
- Robert Hass, Time and Materials (poetry)
- Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (young people’s literature)
For the entire list of winners and nominees, and interviews with every single one of them, see this page.