Ah, finally found time for a Bookbits again…
- R. I. P. …and we can start right away with the loss of three iconic writers. Jack Vance, Tom Sharpe and Iain Banks all died within the past two weeks. 🙁 Obituaries can be found all over the web. It seems like only last week when I reported Banks’s cancer.
- Awards! On to more celebratory news, then. A. M. Homes’s May We Be Forgiven beat la Mantel for the Women’s Prize in Fiction (formerly the Orange Prize). And Lydia Davis won the Man Booker International Prize (given every 2 years).
- George Saunders and Hilary Mantel have made Time’s 100 Most Influential list. Authors ruling the world? Can’t be all bad…
- Then again, if you read this article about sexism in Science Fiction, perhaps some authors shouldn’t be near any kind of position of authority. Well, some good ol’ boy authors, anyway.
- Authors, NaNoWriMo heroes, scribblers, heed this call: Quirk Books has a “Looking for Love” fiction contest, open to all nationalities! See all the info right here. The deadline is October 1st, 2013. And please thank us in your acknowledgements when your book is published. 🙂
- Looking for a new home for your old books? Or is your other half refusing to let you buy a new bookcase and you need to thin out the ranks a little? Why not set your friends up with a literary blind date! I just love this idea.
- Interview! Nu.nl interviewed Karin Slaughter in honor of June Thriller month (article is in Dutch).
- And finally: 25 signs you’re addicted to books. Much retweeted already. 🙂
Thanks to Tom, Simone, Karin, Nicki, Joke, JeroenW and Rick for various of the above links. If you have literary tips for us, please mail email@example.com!