This year we decided to introduce all our buyers to you at the same time. That way, if you want an expert, you’ll know exactly who to turn to in which store.
Gift Ideas on display in the picture above:
- 100 Years of the Best American Short Stories – Heidi Pitlor & Lorrie Moore
- The Givenness of Things: Essays – Marilynne Robinson
- Complete Stories – Clarice Lispector
- The Vegetarian – Han Kang
- The Early Stories of Truman Capote – Truman Capote
- Complete Poems – E. E. Cummings
- Let Me Tell You: New Stories, Essays, and Other Writings – Shirley Jackson
- Between the World and Me – Ta-Nehisi Coates
What books from the list above do you want to highlight?
“Since these are Gift Ideas, I picked beautiful books, both on the inside and the outside. I’m a big fan of Clarice Lispector, and this New Directions edition of her Complete Stories is just gorgeous. And The Early Stories of Truman Capote is also an ideal gift book.
“I haven’t read much fiction this year, but from the novels I did read, The Vegetarian really stood out. It was published in Korea in 2007, but not translated into English until this year. An amazing story.
“Between the World and Me I can also recommend. It is a very confronting essay-slash-memoir, written as letters to his son, about what it is like to be black in the US. It is a book everyone should read.”
What soon-to-be-released title do people need to pre-order?
“Faber and Faber will be re-issuing I Love Dick by Chris Kraus. It’s a cult feminist novel – really good and funny, too.”
More buyers with their gift ideas will be presented on the blog every day. An overview post can be found here.